Unfortunately there is administration that needs to take place and certain authorities need to be informed of the death. All this comes at a time when you may least feel like attending to these matters as they stir up memories, often it can all be too much to bare. Below we have listed some of the government organisations that need to be informed. We hope that we can make this daunting task a little more bearable. Please do contact us if you require any advice.

Informing local and national authorities of the death.

You will need to inform:

The DWP if there is a state pension or any benefits involved.

The Passport office

The DVLA for cancellation of a driver’s licence

The local council to cancel the council tax or apply for single occupancy discount if applicable.

All of this can be done when registering the death by Cornwall council’s Tell Us Once service. Click here for more information.

You will have to manage the estate of the deceased which involves closing down accounts and transfer or sale of property. Depending on the size of the estate you may be able to administer it yourself or if there are other family members involved, especially where property is concerned, you may need to employ the services of a a solicitor. For more information on probate see How do I manage the estate? on our Frequently asked Questions page.

Redirecting post after a death

You can arrange for the local post office to redirect the post of someone who has died. The post office may insist on having proof that you have got legal authority to do this. It might help if you could provide a death certificate and a written statement saying that you have a right to act on the person’s behalf. You will have to pay a fee for redirection of post.

You can also stop junk mail being sent to someone who has died. To do this, you can register details of the death with The Bereavement Register. Companies who check The Bereavement Register will remove details of the person who has died from mailing lists and marketing databases. However, this will not stop junk mail being sent from companies who do not check with the register. The Bereavement Register is a free service.

Contact details for The Bereavement Register are:

The Bereavement Register

Freepost SEA8240


TN13 1YR

Tel: 0870 600 7222

Fax: 0870 400 5644

Website: www.the-bereavement-register.org.uk

You can also use the Mailing Preference Service (MPS) to stop junk mail being sent to someone who has died.

Emotional support

If at anytime during the whole process you are struggling emotionally and feel that the weight of responsibility is too much we can put you in touch with organisations that are trained to help you. Sometimes just talking will help, so do not be afraid to pick up the phone. We have put together some useful links that might be of some help.